An exciting opportunity has arisen to work within our award-winning grounds team, operating in an elite sports environment at Northampton Saints.
We are looking for somebody as passionate as we are about setting and maintaining exceptional standards for our ground, befitting of our high-profile venue, the level of sport played here and our national and international media exposure.
This role would suit both experienced candidates as well as those looking to take the next step in their career. We have an excellent track record of internal promotion and development within the Grounds team.
REMIT: This is a broad role with end-to-end involvement in all elements of care for our playing and training pitches and wider grounds environment. Reporting to the Head groundsman, you will be the second in command in the department.
• Deliver a best-in-class grounds maintenance service befitting of a high profile professional sports venue
• Be responsible for ensuring health & safety requirements are met for all grounds tasks as well as considering the health & safety of end users of the facility
• Work closely with the rugby coaching team and other senior stakeholders in order to provide the safest and most suitable environment for the end users of grounds facilities
• Ensure necessary action is taken where inclement weather or other factors are predicted to ensure that all games and training can go ahead
• Ensure excellent housekeeping across all work areas ensuring they are kept safe, clean, tidy and secure at all times
• Uphold extremely high standards of customer care and service when dealing with on site visitors and general members of the public
• Work independently and organise work to deliver objectives without constant close supervision
• Perform daily monitoring checks to identify playing surface issues e.g. pest, weed, disease and irrigation management, and identify diagnostics and treatment
• Test and monitor playing surface PQS and cross reference to industry benchmarks to optimise safety, aesthetics and playing surface performance characteristics.
• Work closely with the Head Groundsman to continuously identify opportunities for improvements in efficiency, performance and results
• Remain up to date with industry developments, legislation and best practice through attendance at conferences, seminars and events and by building and maintaining a professional network
• Identify opportunities to reduce the club’s carbon footprint, improve its sustainability credentials and positively impact on the wider environment
• Supervise, motivate, and manage the grounds team in the absence of the head groundsman
• Undertake any other duties as designated by your line manager to ensure the smooth running of all operational aspects of the business.
• NVQ Level 2 in Sports Turf (or equivalent)
• Good level of physical fitness to undertake labour intensive tasks and manual handling operations
• Proficient in the use, application and maintenance of specialist grounds care equipment and familiar with a range of grounds care techniques and practices
• Excellent time management
• True team player
• Highly self motivated
• Ability to lead and motivate people
• Ability to think ahead, generate ideas and provide creative solutions to problems
• Pesticide licenses PA 1,2 and 6 would be an advantage
• A flexible approach to working hours, the role will require some weekend and evening working
• A willingness to self-evaluate and work towards continuous professional development.
To apply for this vacancy, please email a CV and covering letter to [email protected] by the 18th February 2022.
Northampton Saints is an equal opportunities employer and would welcome applications from a fully diverse range of candidates, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.